Öhlins need no introduction. They have been at the top of the moto-industry for many years and their RFX forks have been killing it in our group tests. As 29ers sweep the media, Öhlins have just dropped a brand new 29er fork – a coil sprung one at that! They have also launched a 27.5 air fork, the RXF 36 27.5, and a Lightweight Spring Series for coil shocks.
New Öhlins RXF 36 Coil
The RXF 36 Coil is the newest addition to the Öhlins fork range and is aimed at gravity riders. Öhlins claim the linear nature of the coil spring gives a predictable and reliable fork that performs consistently. The RXF 36 Coil is internally adjustable from 160 mm to 110 mm travel. The external preload adjuster and floating spring piston design allow the ride height to be fine-tuned, without reducing small bump sensitivity.
Key features of the new Öhlins RXF 36 Coil
- TTX 22 – Twin tube damper for parallel oil flow. External adjusters for LSC, HSC and LSR.
- Coil technology – Low friction and consistent performance.
- Exchangeable springs – Allows the rider to find the ideal spring.
- External preload adjuster – Fine-tune your ride height
New Öhlins RXF 36 27.5’’
If you have been dreaming of an RXF 36 for 27.5-inch wheels, then your suspension prayers have been answered. Öhlins have also released a new 27.5’’ specific design, available in stroke options up to 170 mm. The twin tube damper enables parallel oil flow which ensures that pressure is kept at optimal levels. It will allow you to stay higher in the fork travel and keep your tyre planted on the ground. The three-chamber air spring allows for ‘on the fly’ adjustment of the progressiveness of the fork, the shape of the spring curve can be tuned with just a regular shock pump.
Key features of new Öhlins RXF 36 27.5’’
- TTX22 – Twin tube damper for parallel oil flow. External adjusters for LSC, HSC and LSR.
- Ramp up chamber – A 3rd air chamber that controls the progressiveness of the air spring.
- Floating wheel shaft – MX style wheel shaft. Holds you wheel in place without causing extra friction by forcing the fork legs together
New Öhlins Light Weight Spring Series
The new generation spring series boasts a lower weight and higher strength. Coil springs are becoming increasingly popular and there’s no doubt that the new Light Weight Spring Series will be the hot choice to meet the growing demand of lighter coil springs from short travel trail bikes to Downhill bikes. The springs are sized for a specific shock stroke and will be available in 4 Nm/23 lbs increments.
We are big fans of coil, and should hopefully have some forks on test very soon – stay tuned for some first ride impressions.
PS: Readers' Survey 2017 - Give feedback, win awesome prizes: We're giving away an exclusive Trek Slash 2018 in top spec! Click here to take part now!
Words: Finlay Anderson Photos: Ohlins